Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Past feasting with the Present

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm feeling guilty about spending another buffet dinner at the old folks home.  Thanksgiving is the time we all have memories based around home. Perhaps it's what our Aunt made, the special china used, leftovers, or the first time we sat at the adult table.  Whatever they may be, this is the holiday where the past feasts with the present.  Actually the whole darn thing is based on remembering that very first Thanksgiving meal. My memories of Thanksgiving are sweet and I especially remember my Mom (Peggy) rolling up the extra pie crust with cinnamon and sugar and letting me eat it right out of the oven, before dinner.

Suddenly I'm thinking, what about Thanksgiving are my girls going to remember?  Every year I am more focused on spending it with Peggy, trying to make it special for her even knowing she will not remember any of it. Instead of creating lovely, sweet memories for Sunny and Gidget, like my Mom did for me.   I know the importance and value of caring for family will be and is a very important part of our family traditions and memories. My brother is coming with his kids and it's going to be a good day, and we will make it fun, the kids will play, we'll be stuffed and the Packer game is on.

But, honestly I just want to make a pie at home with my daughters and roll up the extra dough with tons of cinnamon and sugar and show them that I care about their memories as much as I do about Peggy's.


No comments:

Post a Comment