Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Peggy Fell Down...

She's okay.  She's sore.  She's upset.  Nothing is broken.  Probably a muscle pull or strain.  We were up on the 3rd floor to go to a Mardi Gras party downstairs.   Sunny got all dressed up, she loves a party or just to have a chance to wear lipstick.  Peggy was on the couch, the other's were starting to go down.  She always says "not right now" if anyone asks her to do something, but usually we can get her to move, sometimes.   She got up slowly, she was a little unsteady... so we got her walker and she held on.  I turned around, and she let go...
She yelled and said things like "oooooh we broke our back", and "why is this happening to us", and "it hurts" and "we're scared and don't like this".  She wouldn't let any of us touch or move her.  Sunrise called the paramedics, I called my dear friend Jacki who came and got Sunny in minutes.  I was stuck, my mom's head was on my lap, and Sunny saw the whole thing.  So she ran into Nana's room, and made her a feel better card...and went home with Jacki.

We went to St. Joe's.  They had to give her an iv for the pain meds, because she wouldn't lay on her back to take the x-ray.  Her position, her veins and her brain were not cooperating.  The fifth time with the help of 2 RN's they got it in her.  The fifth time I looked at one of them and said "I hate to tell you this, but I don't feel so good."  and almost passed out?!!  I sat down, had some water, let Peggy's pain medicine do it's job and shaped up.  She went in for lots of x-rays, Jacki brought me a sandwich.  Don't you guys all wish you had a Jacki in your life?  I'm so lucky.  And the doctor said, try and get her up and dressed and she can go home with a prescription for vicadin.  Really?  You want us to get her up when she wouldn't even let us touch her?  Okay?  Well, she did it, she didn't even remember she fell, she was just really really tired.  We got her a wheel chair, and we got her in the car.  Alla was waiting for me with another wheel chair it was 12:30, and I asked her if she thought I should come up, she said.   "I think your children need you now, goodnight."  And I felt lucky, again, this dumb disease and this horrible thing that's happening to my mom, made me feel lucky.  Lucky to have all these wonderful people in the world to help us through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment