Thursday, February 28, 2013

Her brain, my brain, our brains.

Peggy had been shouting out, alot.  Agitated?  Not really, just a big "Hiiiiiiiiirgh" out of nowhere.   And not just when moving or touching her.  "Hiiiiiirgghh" It would startle the heck out of you.  It reminded me of Tourettes Syndrome.  So, I mentioned this to her doctor.  Now she is on Haldol a drug used to treat Tourettes.  Of course we had to experiment with the dosage, but she is reacting really well, and not as agitated or vocal.  Here's the thing.  I don't know anything about Tourette's (like how to even spell it) or Alzheimer's, and if I can make a suggestion that works, don't you think we need a little more research about the whole damn disease.  I wish Peggy was in a lab, under a microscope in an MRI machine all day and night to see exactly what her brain is doing, how it is dying, how and what drugs do to her brain activity.  She wouldn't know, she would be the same, but the world wouldn't.  I've signed her up at USC, but she only goes once a year, and they just kind of look at her and take a few notes.  This year it was over the phone, because it is so difficult to move her.  We could learn a lot from Peggy, and she wouldn't be lying there for no reason.  

No comments:

Post a Comment